Friday, February 15, 2008

Angel of God Dream

The dream started as I walked through this one very old graveyard. It was not gloomy, but it was a beautiful sunny day... the green of the grass was beautiful, and the trees contrasted well against the blue sky. But suddenly the wonderful mode that had been established was interrupted when I saw that the tomb of Desiderius Erasmus had been desecrated by vandals -- the grave stone was painted with grifiti and claimed "Erasmus will not live beyond the grave".

Well, at that period in my life I thought that was silly and so I said "That's ridiculous! Everyone will live beyond the grave".

Then, what I had thought was a large Oak Tree on a nearby knoll transformed into a Fiery Angel of God -- not just a 'burning bush' but a huge Tree burning with a multicolored Flame that did not consume the leaves or branches. I knew I was in the presence of Holiness because, without thinking, my legs simply gave out of themselves and I slammed down onto my knees, though without the slightest pain. And without any emotion, tears sprung ... sprayed... from my eyes. It was all quite exceptional.

Then this Great Voice spoke -- "Not everyone will live beyond the Grave......but Erasmus will".

Now, ordinarily one would think that speech would be impossible before such an Angel of God, and I wondered whether my tongue would even work when I said, "What about me? Will I live beyond the Grave?"

Well, the Angel of God was in no hurry to answer. There was a pause, and I began to worry. The answer would be momentous, would it not?

Finally God’s response came. "Yes, you too will live beyond the Grave.... but remember one thing -- BIRTH IS BUT AN ILLUSION, AND CHRIST IS THE LIFE IN ALL THINGS".

What a powerful dream, but what about this relation with Erasmus? This was years ago before I ever imagined I would ever be a Catholic. But Erasmus had been both an Intellectual and a Catholic. He was quite a witty fellow and his most famous literary work, "In Praise of Folly" was a satirical attack upon Church corruption and theological nonsense. Protestant History looks back at Erasmus and claims him as the first partisan to raise a cry for the destruction of the Church, but that is a mistaken view. Erasmus never ceased being a Catholic. He killed no priests. He raped no nuns. What he dis was to quarrel with the idiot Bishops about the same way that I now quarrel with the Idiot Bishops. You see, I think that was the point of the Dream. 40 years ago this Angel of God, and this most important of Dreams had envisioned my future -- that I would be a Catholic, and, like Erasmus, I would be a proponent for corrections within the Church.

Of course, what the Angel told me in regards to what I should remember... that message was virtually a reconciliation between Eastern Thought and the Spiritual Christian Religion. "Birth is but an Illusion" tells us that we are not individual and separate lives, but that we are all part of one huge Life Force. and "Christ is the Life in All Things" tells us that this Life Force is innately Holy... that our Life unifies us with God... we have only to 'remember' it.

But keep it under your hat, about me and Erasmus. Not everybody needs to know.

No comments: